Senior Homestead Exemption (35 ILCS 200/15-170)
Eligibility and Application Process
- Property must be owner occupied by the senior citizen on January 1st of the application year.
- Property must be a residential single family home, town home, or condominium.
- Property owner must be 65 years of age or older in the application year.
- Application must be filed no later than December 31st of the application year.
- Property deed or Title Insurance Policy (Name of senior citizen must appear on this document).
- Birth Certificate or Drivers License showing proof of age.
- Application must be signed by senior citizen and notarized by a public notary.
Bring documents "1" and "2" to our office. We will photocopy both documents and return originals to you. We will prepare the application and ask you to sign it and we will notarize your signature. The application will be processed to the county and a copy will be mailed to you. In subsequent years, a renewal form will be mailed directly to you from the county. You must sign and return the renewal form to the county to keep this exemption in force.
The senior homestead exemption exempts $5,000 of assessed value.
Click here for estimate of property tax savings.
Click here for Senior Homestead Exemption Application(opens DuPage County Web Site)
Questions?: Call 630-968-1183